- 1 What qualifications do you need to work on a cruise ship?
- 2 How hard is it to work on a cruise ship?
- 3 How does working on a cruise ship work?
- 4 Is Tattoo allowed in cruise ship?
- 5 What is the age limit to work on a cruise ship?
- 6 Who is the highest paid person on a cruise ship?
- 7 Do cruise ship workers get free food?
- 8 Where do workers sleep on a cruise ship?
- 9 What are the perks of working on a cruise-ship?
- 10 Where do most cruise-ship employees come from?
- 11 How much is the salary of waiter in cruise-ship?
- 12 Do you pay tax when working on a cruise-ship?
- 13 Do cruise-ship employees hook up?
- 14 Is it worth working on a cruise-ship?
What qualifications do you need to work on a cruise ship?
To work on a cruise ship, you must meet the following basic requirements:
- Be at least 18 or 21 years old.
- Meet the language fluency requirements.
- Have a valid passport.
- Have the required visa or work permit.
- Have a basic safety training certificate.
- Pass a medical examination.
- Pass a criminal background check.
How hard is it to work on a cruise ship?
In a nutshell: cruise ship work is actually really difficult. To be honest, it’s already hard enough to work at a restaurant on land. But at sea, it’s a whole other story. In fact, most cruise ship servers have to take care of up to 30 diners at the exact same time.
How does working on a cruise ship work?
You work long hours. Rather than working traditional five-day weeks, cruise-ship employees often work seven days a week for the duration of their contracts, which can range from about two months to 11 months.
Is Tattoo allowed in cruise ship?
The general rule is that tattoos should not be visible when cruise ship crews are in their uniform and in passenger areas. Tattoos on the neck – an increasingly common trend, and face – such as tribal tattoos – are highly discouraged and may not be permitted.
What is the age limit to work on a cruise ship?
Although there isn’t a maximum age to work on cruise ships, the unfortunate truth is that cruise lines don’t hire many applicants over the age of 35 years old. That said, there are crewmembers over the age of 35. Many are in management positions after making cruise ship life a career.
Who is the highest paid person on a cruise ship?
5 Highest-Paying Jobs on Cruise Ships
- Executive Chef.
- Cruise Director.
- Chief Purser.
- Hotel Director.
- Human Resources Manager.
Do cruise ship workers get free food?
Do cruise ship employees get free food? Yes, crew members receive free food for working onboard a ship, along with a cabin to sleep in (more on that later). Similar to the guests, crew members have their own buffet style restaurant to get their meals from throughout the day.
Where do workers sleep on a cruise ship?
Unlike guest staterooms, crew cabins are pretty small and usually located on deck 0, or below the sea level – deck A and B. Most of the crew cabins don’t have portholes (windows) – this luxury is reserved for some staff and officers – so for first-time crew members this might be a little confusing.
What are the perks of working on a cruise-ship?
The Pros of Working on Cruise Ships
- You get paid to travel.
- Little to no cost of living.
- Free medical care.
- Flights to and from the ship are provided.
- Easily rack up airline flight miles.
- Short work commute.
- 6-8 week vacation in between contracts.
- Save money.
Where do most cruise-ship employees come from?
Filipinos are popular cruise ship workers In total, the company employs 11,000 Filipinos, making up 14 percent of its seagoing employees. There are several reasons why Filipinos make good cruise ship crew members. The Philippines has a strong maritime heritage, so many islanders are still drawn to a seafaring life.
How much is the salary of waiter in cruise-ship?
Waiter / Waitress Salary Range: $2500-4200 U.S. per month depending on the cruise line, size of ship and gratuities from passengers. Possibilities for promotion to Dining Room Head Waiter / Waitress position.
Do you pay tax when working on a cruise-ship?
Do I pay tax working on a cruise ship? HM Revenue and Customs spokesman replies: Not all income is taxable and you’re only taxed on income above a certain level. If your taxable income is more than your tax-free allowances you must contact HMRC if you’re not already paying tax.
Do cruise-ship employees hook up?
Cruise-ship workers say they have so much sex that their ships are like college dorms. Sex among cruise-ship workers is pervasive, current and former cruise-ship employees told Business Insider. Some compared the hookup culture as being similar to, or even exceeding, that of a college dorm.
Is it worth working on a cruise-ship?
Not at all. While crew members do work long hours, the staff are treated quite well. Most ships these days offer very high-quality crew accommodation, along with several dining halls, crew bars, crew shops, Internet cafés, coffee bars, crew gyms, and party areas, all specifically for the crew.