- 1 What is it called when you work on a cruise ship?
- 2 What types of jobs are there on a ship?
- 3 What are the departments on a cruise ship?
- 4 What qualifications do you need to work on a cruise ship?
- 5 How do I get a job on a ship?
- 6 What is the best position on a cruise ship?
- 7 How do you get a job on a ship?
- 8 Who is the head of a cruise ship?
- 9 Who is in charge on a cruise ship?
- 10 How much does a first officer on a cruise ship make?
- 11 Is Tattoo allowed in cruise ship?
- 12 What is the age limit to work on a cruise ship?
- 13 Do you get days off working on a cruise ship?
What is it called when you work on a cruise ship?
Commonly Available Positions on Cruise Ships: Deck Crew. Cruise Directors. Disc Jockeys. Expedition Leaders. Hosts and Hostesses.
What types of jobs are there on a ship?
How to Work on a Boat — Different Maritime Career Options
- General Crew. As general crew, you’re responsible for the hands-on work that gets done on deck.
- Marine Engineer.
- Deck Officer.
- Marine Cook.
- Land-Based Maritime Careers.
- Crossover Careers.
What are the departments on a cruise ship?
An average-sized cruise ship typically has a passenger capacity of around 2000-2500 and a crew complement of 600-1000, which is predominantly divided amongst the following departments, viz., Deck, Engineering, Food & Beverage, Housekeeping, Sanitation, Guest Services, Laundry, Spa, Medical, Entertainment, Photography,
What qualifications do you need to work on a cruise ship?
To work on a cruise ship, you must meet the following basic requirements:
- Be at least 18 or 21 years old.
- Meet the language fluency requirements.
- Have a valid passport.
- Have the required visa or work permit.
- Have a basic safety training certificate.
- Pass a medical examination.
- Pass a criminal background check.
How do I get a job on a ship?
There are two good ways for the complete novice to get a job on a freighter. One is by going from ship to ship and asking each captain if he needs (a) a deckboy or (b) a workaway. A deckboy is part of the crew and gets paid (although very little) and a workaway gets no wages at all but swaps labor for his passage.
What is the best position on a cruise ship?
Best for a Great View Cabins at the very front or very back of a cruise ship are most likely to have the best views, as they offer the widest vistas of the ocean stretching out behind or in front of the ship — or in the case of forward cabins, your next port of call.
How do you get a job on a ship?
Get your first offer of contract, celebrate, and join your first ship!
- Figure out if a life at sea is for you.
- Assess which cruise line you would like to work for and which onboard position would be most suitable for you.
- Create your customized cover letter and associated resume.
- Interview and wait.
Who is the head of a cruise ship?
A cruise director is a high-ranking or senior officer of a cruise ship with responsibility for all onboard hospitality, entertainment and social events, who acts as the public face of the company.
Who is in charge on a cruise ship?
Rather, the captain is like the CEO of a company. He or she is ultimately in charge of everything onboard. On most ships, three senior officers report directly to the captain The hotel director is in charge of all of the guest services including the accommodations, the dining, and the entertainment.
How much does a first officer on a cruise ship make?
The salary trajectory of a First Officer ranges between locations and employers. The salary starts at $97,160 per year and goes up to $85,061 per year for the highest level of seniority.
Is Tattoo allowed in cruise ship?
The general rule is that tattoos should not be visible when cruise ship crews are in their uniform and in passenger areas. Tattoos on the neck – an increasingly common trend, and face – such as tribal tattoos – are highly discouraged and may not be permitted.
What is the age limit to work on a cruise ship?
Although there isn’t a maximum age to work on cruise ships, the unfortunate truth is that cruise lines don’t hire many applicants over the age of 35 years old. That said, there are crewmembers over the age of 35. Many are in management positions after making cruise ship life a career.
Do you get days off working on a cruise ship?
Once they’re done training, cruise ship employees have to sign a lengthy contract, which can last for up to nine months. Of course, no days off includes holidays too! However, if an employee is given a long contract, then they can usually take a two-month break or more to live their life on land.